341ci L-Head V-8 Engine
Single Cadillac Carburetor
90bhp at 3,300rpm
3-Speed Manual Transmission
Front and Rear Leaf Spring Suspension
4-Wheel Duplex Mechanical Drum Brakes
*Elegant and luxurious coachwork
*Finished in homage to the similarly bodied 1929 New York Auto Show car
*A CCCA Full Classic
*V8 Powered Cadillac Convertible Coupe from the Classic Era
THE V8 CADILLAC
With the earliest model sold in 1903, Cadillac is second only to Ford as the oldest surviving make in America and quickly established itself as one of the foremost makers of high-quality automobiles in the country, earning its "Standard of the World" advertising claim. By 1910, Cadillac had been absorbed into the General Motors conglomerate under William C. Durant and has remained the most prestigious name in the GM hierarchy ever since.
Cadillac offered a V-8 model as early as 1915 and progressively refined the concept over the ensuing years, with a detachable cylinder head in 1918, balanced crankshaft in the V-63 of 1923 and further improvements on the Series 314, known as "The New Ninety Degree Cadillac". In 1928 the dimensions of the V-8 were altered for the first time in years, taking total displacement up to 341cu in and horsepower was rated at 90. The L-head design used a cast iron block with a copper/aluminum crankcase, three main bearings and mechanical valve lifters. Only minor changes were made to the 1929 Cadillac, including synchromesh on second and top gears and Duplex mechanical brakes (on all four wheels) with internal shoes. Another welcome innovation was the introduction of safety glass across the range. The adoption of underslung rear springs and an increased wheelbase enabled longer, lower-slung body lines, these new models marking the arrival of master stylist Harley Earl at General Motors.
THE MOTORCAR OFFERED
A fabulous product of the waning days of the days of the Roaring Twenties, this lovely Cadillac was bodied by Fleetwood, then still of Pennsylvania and not yet fully ensconced in GM's Detroit hub, as a Transformable Town Cabriolet. In the factory catalog as style number 3512, its open driver's compartment and luxurious rear cabin bore striking resemblance to the styles popularly seen on the pricier V-16 that would debut the next year.
According to copies of factory records, this example was delivered new to Jersey City, New Jersey in June of 1929 with Black fender contrasting a Regent Maroon body. The early history of the car is otherwise unknown, it was the recipient of a restoration in the car of a prior owner. Finished in a color scheme that pays homage to the car Fleetwood had on its stand at the 1929 New York Auto Show, it is easy to see why the car was such a fixture at the show. While the one-off on the stand had an engine turned front end, this example is rendered in more lasting silver paint on the hood descending into black at the cowl and heading to the back of the car. Offset but red coachlines on both the signature Fleetwood beltline and the spokes of the artillery-style wheels, the interior is just as elegantly rendered. While the chauffeur enjoys a black leather bench seat, the fortunate passengers in the rear are ensconced luxurious grey broadcloth and elegant wood trim with fine chrome details.
A perfect car for tours and shows, it is a fine example of a bygone era of luxury and optimism.